||Title:||OFFICIAL LANGUAGES ORDINANCE||Gazette Number:||26 of 1999|
|Section:||4||Heading:||Enactment of Ordinances in both official languages||Version Date:||01/07/1997|
Adaptation amendments retroactively made - see 26 of 1999 s. 3
(1) All Ordinances shall be enacted and published in both official languages.
(2) Nothing in subsection (1) shall require an Ordinance to be enacted and published in both official languages where that Ordinance amends another Ordinance and-
(3) Nothing in subsection (1) shall require an Ordinance to be enacted and published in both official languages where the Chief Executive in Council- (Amended 26 of 1999 s. 3)
(a) that other Ordinance was enacted in the English language only; and
(b) no authentic text of that Ordinance has been published in the Chinese language under section 4B(1).
(4) Nothing in this section shall be construed as restricting the use of Chinese words in the English text of an Ordinance or of English words in the Chinese text of an Ordinance.
(a) is of the opinion that a Bill is urgent and its enactment as an Ordinance in both official languages will occasion unreasonable delay; and
(b) directs that the Bill shall be presented to the Legislative Council in one of the official languages.
(5) This section shall not extend to subsidiary legislation.
(Replaced 17 of 1987 s. 3)