||Title:||DISCOVERY BAY TUNNEL LINK ORDINANCE||Gazette Number:|
|Section:||29||Heading:||Powers of tunnel officers||Version Date:||30/06/1997|
(1) A tunnel officer may, in the tunnel area, take any action specified in subsection (3) for the purpose of-
(2) If a tunnel officer-
(a) regulating traffic; or
(b) preventing the commission of an offence.
he may, in the tunnel area, take any action specified in subsection (3).
(a) reasonably suspects that an offence has been committed; or
(b) reasonably believes that a driver has been involved in an accident,
(3) The action a tunnel officer may take for the purposes of subsection (1) or (2) is as follows-
(4) A person who obstructs a tunnel officer in the exercise of the powers conferred on him by or under this Ordinance or who fails to comply with a direction or requirement made under subsection (3) commits an offence.
(a) he may direct a driver to stop the vehicle or to proceed to any place in the tunnel area indicated by the tunnel officer and to stop there;
(b) he may stop any vehicle which has entered the tunnel area or prevent any such vehicle from entering that area;
(c) he may require a driver to produce his driving licence;
(d) he may require a driver to furnish the name and address of the registered owner of the vehicle being driven by him where that information is within his knowledge;
(e) he may require any person whom a tunnel officer reasonably believes to have witnessed any accident or the commission of an offence, to furnish to him his name and address;
(f) he may detain, if necessary by the use of reasonable force, a driver, a vehicle or both until they are delivered into the custody of a police officer.
(5) A person who commits an offence under subsection (4) is liable to a fine at level 2.
(6) The powers given to a tunnel officer under this section-
(7) In this section-
(a) are without prejudice to section 63 of the Road Traffic Ordinance (Cap 374); and
(b) are in addition to any powers conferred on a tunnel officer by regulations made under section 28.
(a) "driver" (司機) in relation to any motor vehicle, means any person who is in charge of or assisting in the control of such vehicle;
(b) "driving licence" (駕駛執照) has the meaning assigned to it by section 2 of the Road Traffic Ordinance (Cap 374);
(c) "registered owner" (登記車主) has the meaning assigned to it by section 2 of the Road Traffic Ordinance (Cap 374);
(d) "offence" (罪行) means (other than in subsections (4) and (5)) an offence against the Road Traffic Ordinance (Cap 374) or under the bylaws made under section 30.