Prohibition on certain ships proceeding to sea unless relevant regulations complied with
(1) This section applies to and only to a ship which is-
(a) registered in Hong Kong;
(b) not a passenger ship;
(c) of less than 500 tons gross tonnage;
(d) a vessel required to be certificated under the Merchant Shipping (Local Vessels) Ordinance (Cap 548). (Replaced 43 of 1999 s. 91)
(2) A ship to which this section applies shall not proceed to sea on an international voyage unless the ship complies with the relevant regulations.
(3) The master of a ship to which this section applies shall, at the time a clearance for the ship is demanded in respect of an international voyage from Hong Kong, produce to the Director documentary evidence to his satisfaction that the ship complies with the relevant regulations and a clearance shall not be granted and the ship may be detained until such documentary evidence is produced.
(4) Where a ship to which this section applies proceeds, or attempts to proceed to sea in contravention of subsection (2), the owner or master of the ship commits an offence and is liable to a fine of $10000 and to imprisonment for 6 months.
(5) In this section "relevant regulations" (有關規例) means regulations made for the purposes of this section under this Ordinance or under the Merchant Shipping (Local Vessels) Ordinance (Cap 548) and applicable to the class of ship to which the ship belongs. (Amended 43 of 1999 s. 91)