|547||Title:||DISTRICT COUNCILS ORDINANCE||Gazette Number:||L.N. 77 of 1999|
|Section:||28||Heading:||Suspension of operation of District Councils to enable ordinary election to be held||Version Date:||19/03/1999|
(1) After the Chief Executive determines a date for holding an ordinary election and gives notice under section 27(3), the Designated Officer may, to facilitate the holding of such election, determine a date with effect from which the operation of the District Councils is to be suspended until the commencement of the term of office of the members elected at that ordinary election.
(2) The Designated Officer must give notice in the Gazette of the date determined by that Officer under subsection (1).
(3) Subject to subsection (4), the operation of all District Councils and their committees stand suspended with effect from the date determined by the Designated Officer under subsection (1).
(4) If the Designated Officer is of the opinion that circumstances so warrant, that Officer may permit or request a District Council or a committee to hold one or more meetings during the period of suspension.
(5) Nothing in this section is to be construed as affecting the term of office of a person who is a member of a District Council when the operation of that District Council is suspended under this section.