Duty of self-employed person to become scheme member
(1) Every self-employed person-
(a) must, within the permitted period after the relevant time, become a member of a registered scheme; and
(b) must, in accordance with the provisions of the Mandatory Provident Fund Schemes (General) Regulation (Cap 485 sub. leg. A), before the end of each contribution period, pay to the approved trustee of the scheme from the person's own funds for the person's own benefit a contribution equal to the prescribed percentage of the person's relevant income. (Amended 2 of 2002 s. 8)
(2) In this section-
"contribution period" (供款期) means a period prescribed by the regulations as a contribution period;
"permitted period" (特准限期) means the period specified by the Authority by notice published in the Gazette for the purposes of this section;
"the relevant time" (有關時間) means-
(a) in the case of a person who is a self-employed person at the commencement of this section, the time of that commencement; or
(b) in the case of a person who becomes a self-employed person after that commencement, the beginning of the date on which the person becomes self-employed; (Amended 2 of 2002 s. 8)
(3) For the purposes of subsection (1)(b), the prescribed percentage is 5 per cent or, if some other percentage is prescribed by the regulations, that other percentage. The regulations may prescribe different percentages for those purposes.
(4) For the purposes of this section, the regulations may-
(a) require self-employed persons to report their relevant income to the Authority; and
(b) prescribe the matters that must be included in those reports.
(5) This section is subject to sections 9 and 10.
(6) This section does not apply to a self-employed person who is-
(a) less than 18 years of age; or
(b) of or more than retirement age. (Added 2 of 2002 s. 8)