||Title:||MERCHANT SHIPPING (SAFETY) (CARGO SHIP CONSTRUCTION AND SURVEY) (SHIPS BUILT ON OR AFTER 1 SEPTEMBER 1984) REGULATIONS||Gazette Number:|
|Regulation:||3||Heading:||Peak and machinery space bulkheads and stern tubes||Version Date:||30/06/1997|
(1) Every ship shall be fitted with a collision bulkhead which shall be watertight up to the freeboard deck. This bulkhead shall be located at a distance from the forward perpendicular of not less than 5% of the length of the ship or 10 metres, whichever is the least, and except as may be permitted by the Director not more than 8% of the length of the ship.
(2) Where any part of the ship below the waterline extends forward of the forward perpendicular, such as a bulbous bow, the distances stipulated in subregulation (1) shall be measured from a position either-
(3) The collision bulkhead may have steps or recesses in it provided that they are within the limits prescribed in subregulations (1) and (2). Pipes piercing the collision bulkhead shall be fitted with suitable valves operable from above the freeboard deck and the valve chest shall be secured at the bulkhead inside the forepeak. The Certifying Authority may permit the location of such valves on the after side of the collision bulkhead provided that they are readily accessible under all service conditions and the space in which they are located is not a cargo space. All such valves shall be of steel, bronze or other ductile material; valves of ordinary cast iron or similar material shall not be fitted. Doors, manholes, ventilation ducts or any other openings shall not be fitted in the collision bulkhead.
(a) at the mid-length of such extension; or
(b) forward of the forward perpendicular at a distance of 1.5% of the length of the ship; or
(c) forward of the forward perpendicular at a distance of 3 metres, whichever is the aftermost position.
(4) In every ship provided with a long forward superstructure the collision bulkhead shall be extended weathertight to the deck immediately above the freeboard deck. The extension shall, subject to the requirements of subregulation (5), be located within the limits prescribed in subregulations (1) and (2). The part of the deck, if any, between the collision bulkhead and its extension shall be weathertight.
(5) In every ship provided with a bow door and a sloping loading ramp that forms part of the extension of the collision bulkhead above the freeboard deck, the part of the ramp which is more than 2.3 metres above the freeboard deck may extend forward of the limits specified in subregulations (1) and (2). The ramp shall be weathertight.
(6) The number of openings in the extension of the collision bulkhead above the freeboard deck shall be restricted to the minimum compatible with the design and normal operation of the ship. All such openings shall be capable of being closed weathertight.
(7) Every post 1992 ship shall be fitted with bulkheads separating the machinery spaces from cargo spaces and passenger spaces forward and aft. The bulkheads shall be watertight up to the freeboard deck. (L.N. 415 of 1995)
(8) For every post 1992 ship, stern tubes shall be enclosed in a watertight space of moderate volume. The Certifying Authority may take other measures to minimize the danger of water penetrating into the ship in case of damage to stern tube arrangements. (L.N. 415 of 1995)