Establishment of Council on Human Reproductive Technology
For the saving and transitional provisions relating to the amendments made by the Resolution of the Legislative Council (L.N. 130 of 2007), see paragraph (12) of that Resolution.
(1) There is hereby established a council to be called in English the "Council on Human Reproductive Technology" and in Chinese“人類生殖科技管理局”.
(2) Subject to subsection (3), the Chief Executive shall appoint to be members of the Council-
(a) a Chairperson;
(b) a deputy Chairperson;
(c) 4 persons who are engaged in the teaching or practice of-
(i) obstetrics and gynaecology; or
(ii) any relevant activity;
(d) 1 person who is a social worker;
(e) 2 persons who are legally qualified;
(f) 2 persons who-
(i) occupy in any organized religion any office associated with the teaching of, the giving of guidance on, or the promotion of adherence to, the precepts of the religion; or
(ii) are engaged in the teaching of any theology, philosophy or ethics;
(g) 1 person who is a psychiatrist or psychologist;
(h) 1 person who is a registered nurse within the meaning of the Nurses Registration Ordinance (Cap 164);
(i) 1 person who is a sociologist;
(j) 1 person nominated by the Secretary for Food and Health; (Amended L.N. 106 of 2002; L.N. 130 of 2007)
(k) 1 person nominated by the Director of Health;
(l) 1 person nominated by the Director of Home Affairs;
(m) 1 person nominated by the Director of Social Welfare; and
(n) not more than 8 other persons.
(3) The Chief Executive-
(a) shall not appoint a public officer to be a member of the Council under subsection (2)(a) or (b);
(b) shall ensure that less than half the membership of the Council from time to time are public officers.
(4) The Secretary for Food and Health shall appoint- (Amended L.N. 106 of 2002; L.N. 130 of 2007)
(a) a Secretary to the Council; and
(b) a legal adviser to the Council.
(5) The relevant provisions of Schedule 1 shall have effect with respect to the Council and its members.
(6) Part VII of the Interpretation and General Clauses Ordinance (Cap 1) shall apply to the Council and appointments to the Council except in so far as it is inconsistent with the provisions of this Ordinance.
(7) Every appointment under subsection (2) shall be notified in the Gazette.