||Title:||MERCHANT SHIPPING (REGISTRATION) ORDINANCE||Gazette Number:|
|Section:||17||Heading:||Rules as to ship names||Version Date:||30/06/1997|
(1) A person shall not describe a registered ship by any name other than that by which the ship is for the time being registered.
(2) The owner or demise charterer of a registered ship shall not change the name of the ship, or cause or permit any such change, without the previous written permission of the Registrar.
(3) An application for permission of the Registrar under subsection (2) shall be in writing, and if the Registrar is of the opinion that the application is reasonable he may entertain it.
(4) Upon the grant of permission to change the name-
(5) The Registrar shall, if it is shown to his satisfaction that the name of a ship has been changed without his permission, direct that the ship's name be altered into the name which it bore before the change, and upon such direction but subject to section 18(2), the owner or demise charterer shall cause that name to be marked on its bows and stern.
(a) the Registrar shall enter the ship's new name in the register; and
(b) subject to section 18(2), the owner or demise charterer shall cause the new name to be marked on the ship's bows and stern.
(6) A person who contravenes subsection (1) commits an offence and is liable to a fine of $5000.
(7) An owner or demise charterer who contravenes subsection (2), (4)(b) or (5) commits an offence and is liable to a fine of $5000.
(8) The Director may, where there is a contravention of, or failure to comply with any requirement or direction under, this section in respect of a ship, detain the ship until the contravention ceases or the requirement or direction is complied with, as the case may be.