(1) The Commissioner of Police may appoint such persons as he thinks fit to be traffic wardens or senior traffic wardens.
(2) Traffic wardens shall discharge, in aid of the Hong Kong Police Force, the following functions- (Amended L.N. 362 of 1997)
(a) the enforcement of the Fixed Penalty (Traffic Contraventions) Ordinance (Cap 237);
(b) the control and regulation of vehicular traffic and pedestrians, whether on a road or not, and any functions incidental to, or connected with, the control and regulation of such traffic or pedestrians, which are normally undertaken by the Police Force; and
(c) any other functions which may be conferred on them by or under this or any other Ordinance.
(2A) For the purposes of discharging his functions under subsection (2), a traffic warden may require any person whom he reasonably suspects of having committed an offence under this Ordinance to give his name and address. (Added 39 of 1995 s. 8)
(3) Subject to subsection (4), for the purposes of discharging his functions under subsection (2), a traffic warden shall have all the powers and duties of a police officer.
(4) Notwithstanding subsection (3), a traffic warden shall not have power-
(a) to arrest or detain a person; or
(b) to search a person.
(5) Traffic wardens shall be subject to the orders and directions of the Commissioner of Police.
(6) A traffic warden shall obey all lawful orders given to him by a police officer of or above the rank of sergeant.