Caution : This is a past version. See the current version for the latest position.
(1) The punishment of a subordinate officer who in criminal proceedings is found guilty of or pleads guilty to a criminal offence shall be in accordance with this rule.
(2) In the case of an inspector, the Commissioner shall as soon as practicable-
(a) refer the case to the Governor; and
(b) notify the inspector that he has done so and that the inspector may make representations in writing to the Governor in mitigation of punishment within 14 days of receiving such notice or within such further period as the Governor may allow.
(3) In referring a case under subrule (2) the Commissioner shall send to the Governor-
(a) a copy of the record of the proceedings;
(b) the inspector's record of service; and
(c) his recommendation with respect to punishment or otherwise.
(4) The Governor may, after considering any representations made by the inspector, impose any one or more of the punishments which he may impose under rule 15(b) in respect of a disciplinary offence by an inspector.
(5) In the case of a customs officer, the Commissioner shall notify the officer that he may make representations in writing in mitigation of punishment within 14 days of receiving such notice and, after considering any such representations, may impose any one or more of the punishments he may impose under rule 16 in respect of a disciplinary offence by a customs officer. (L.N. 42 of 1986)