MERCHANT SHIPPING (SAFETY) (FIRE PROTECTION) (SHIPS BUILT BEFORE 25 MAY 1980) REGULATIONS
Machinery spaces containing oil-fired boilers or oil burning equipment
(1) In every ship of Class VII of 500 tons or over there shall be provided for the protection of any space containing any oil-fired boiler, oil fuel settling tank or oil-fuel unit a fixed fire extinguishing installation of one of the following types-
(a) a pressure water spraying system complying with the requirements of regulation 64;
(b) a fire smothering gas installation complying with the requirements of regulation 65;
(c) a foam fire extinguishing installation complying with the requirements of regulation 66.
(2) In any such ship of under 1000 tons a fixed fire smothering steam installation complying with the requirements of regulation 65 may be provided in lieu of any of the installations in subregulation (1).
(3) If the engine room and boiler spaces are not entirely separated from each other by a bulkhead, or if fuel oil can drain from the boiler space into the engine space, the combined engine and boiler space shall for the purpose or subregulation (1) be regarded as a single space.
(4) In addition to the fixed installation required by subregulation (1) there shall be provided-
(a) in each boiler space-
(i) if the number of burners therein is 5 or more, 1 foam fire extinguisher of at least 45 litres capacity or a carbon dioxide fire extinguisher of at least 16 kilograms capacity; or
(ii) if the number of burners therein is less than 5, for each burner 1 portable fire extinguisher suitable for extinguishing oil fires;
(b) in each firing space and in each space which contains any part of any oil fuel installation at least 2 portable fire extinguishers suitable for extinguishing oil fires, in addition to any required by paragraph (a);
(c) in each firing space a receptacle containing, in a ship of 1000 tons or over, 0.3 cubic metre, or in a ship of under 1000 tons, 0.15 cubic metre of sand or other dry material suitable for quenching oil fires together with a scoop for its distribution, or alternatively an additional portable fire extinguisher suitable for extinguishing oil fires.
(5) If in any such ship of under 1000 tons a fixed fire smothering steam installation is fitted in compliance with subregulation (2) and steam is supplied by water-tube boilers, there shall in addition be provided for the protection of the boiler space and spaces containing the oil fuel installation 1 foam fire extinguisher of at least 135 litres capacity or a carbon dioxide fire extinguisher of at least 45 kilograms capacity.