MERCHANT SHIPPING (SAFETY) (CARGO SHIP CONSTRUCTION AND SURVEY) (SHIPS BUILT BEFORE 1 SEPTEMBER 1984) REGULATIONS
(1) In every ship to which these regulations apply in which a watertight door is provided to maintain the watertight integrity of a bulkhead, every such watertight door shall be made of suitable material and shall be efficiently constructed for its intended duty.
(2) (a) Every watertight door of the sliding type shall be capable of being operated by efficient hand operated gear both at the door itself and from an accessible position above the bulkhead deck.
(b) The operating gear for operating from above the bulkhead deck any sliding watertight door fitted in the bulkhead of a machinery space shall be situated outside the machinery space unless such a position is inconsistent with the efficient arrangement of the necessary gearing.
(3) Where there is access from the lower part of a machinery space to a watertight shaft tunnel the access opening shall be provided with a sliding watertight door which shall be capable of being operated locally from both sides of the door.
(4) Means shall be provided at remote operating positions to indicate when a sliding door is closed.
(5) Watertight doors shall be capable of being operated when the ship is listed up to 15 degrees either way.