Cancellation of Safety Management Certificate or Interim Safety Management Certificate
(1) The Director may cancel a Safety Management Certificate issued in respect of a ship under section 4 if he has reason to believe that-
(a) the ship is not in all respects in compliance with the requirements of the Code; or
(b) the Safety Management Certificate has been issued upon false or erroneous information.
(2) The Director may cancel an Interim Safety Management Certificate issued in respect of a ship under section 9 if he has reason to believe that-
(a) the master and the senior officers of the ship are not familiar with the safety management system of the company of the ship and the planned arrangements for its implementation;
(b) instructions that are material to the implementation of the safety management system have not been given to the crew of the ship before the ship embarks on a voyage;
(c) the company has not carried out within 3 months after the date of applying for the Interim Safety Management Certificate an internal assessment for the purpose of verifying whether the safety management system has been complied with; or
(d) material information on the safety management system has not been given to the crew of the ship in a language understood by them.
(3) If the Director has reason to believe that a ship in respect of which a Safety Management Certificate has been issued under section 4 is in any respect not in compliance with the requirements of the Code, he may issue to the company or the master of the ship a direction in writing to take corrective actions.
(4) A direction issued under subsection (3) must specify the period within which it is to be complied with. That period must be a reasonable one that allows the company or the master to complete the corrective actions.
(5) Without prejudice to the generality of subsection (1), the Director may cancel the Safety Management Certificate if the direction issued under subsection (3) is not complied with to the satisfaction of the Director within the specified period.