Procedure to be adopted when safety equipment is deficient
(1) Where on a survey pursuant to regulation 5, the surveyor determines that the condition of the safety equipment does not correspond substantially with the particulars of the cargo ship safety equipment certificate, the surveyor shall by a notice in writing inform the owner or master what corrective action in his opinion needs to be done and the time within which it ought to be done and give the Director a copy of the notice.
(2) (a) Where a notice is given under subregulation (1), and the corrective action specified in the notice has not been done or taken within the period specified in the notice, the surveyor shall notify the Director who may, on receipt of such notification, suspend the validity of the cargo ship safety equipment certificate issued in relation to the ship; and
(b) when the validity of a certificate is suspended pursuant to this regulation the Director shall give notice of the suspension to the owner of the ship concerned and to the surveyor by whom the relevant survey was given and the surveyor shall, in turn, notify the master concerned.
(3) When a notice is given pursuant to subregulation (2)(b), the master concerned shall deliver up the certificate issued under these regulations to the surveyor by whom the notice was given on demand and the owner shall deliver up the duplicate certificate to the Director.
(4) When the validity of a certificate has been suspended pursuant to subregulation (2)(b) and the surveyor is satisfied that the notice under subregulation (1) has been complied with-
(a) he shall notify the Director who shall as soon as may be-
(i) lift the suspension;
(ii) inform the relevant owner in writing of the lifting of the suspension; and
(iii) return the duplicate certificate to such owner; and
(b) he shall return the certificate issued in relation to the ship, to the master.
(5) Where the ship proceeds on voyage from Hong Kong to another port before corrective action in accordance with subregulation (1) has been taken, the surveyor shall immediately notify the appropriate authorities of the country in which the port is situated.