Adaptation amendments retroactively made - see 2 of 2012 s. 3
(1) This Ordinance applies to-
(a) subject to section 3AA, alcoholic liquors; (Replaced 16 of 2008 s. 3)
(b) tobacco (other than any smokeless tobacco product within the meaning of section 2(1) of the Public Health and Municipal Services Ordinance (Cap 132));
(c) the following types of hydrocarbon oil-
(i) aircraft spirit;
(ii) light diesel oil;
(iii) motor spirit; and
(iv) kerosene; and
(d) methyl alcohol. (Replaced 46 of 1996 s. 3)
(2) The Legislative Council may from time to time by resolution published in the Gazette apply to any substance any of the provisions of this Ordinance specified in the resolution with such modifications, if any, as may to them seem desirable, having regard to the nature of the substance to which the resolution relates.
(3) While any resolution relating to any substance is in force under this section the provisions of this Ordinance thereby applied shall have effect as if the substance were goods to which this Ordinance applies, but subject to such modifications, if any, as may be provided by the resolution.
(4) This Ordinance does not apply to goods which are the property of or imported or purchased for the Central Peopleˇ¦s Government, the Chinese Peopleˇ¦s Liberation Army or the Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region. (Amended 46 of 1996 s. 3; 131 of 1997 s. 2; 2 of 2012 s. 3)
(5) Except as may be prescribed by regulations, the provisions of this Ordinance relating to the importation, exportation and movement of goods shall not apply to postal packets as defined in the Post Office Ordinance (Cap 98).